The Woodland Trust is the UK’s largest woodland conservation charity. It has 500,000 members and supporters and more than 1,000 woodlands of its own. Its head office is in Grantham, Lincolnshire, with regional offices in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, and a network of volunteers all over the UK.
The mission of the Trust is to create havens for wildlife by planting millions of trees every year, campaign for new laws to protect ancient woodland and restore damaged ancient woods so they can breathe again.
The Business Challenges
The Woodland Trust has a huge and remotely spread network of employees, volunteers and members. They came to Transputec with ambitious targets to develop their IT platforms.
The Woodland Trust issued a wide ranging tender for an IT co-support partner to manage their entire ICT infrastructure, including the supply and configuration of upgraded new end user devices and network security. They needed a partner to successfully deliver mobile technology to support a new agile way of working for the organisation.
What Transputec Did
Working alongside the Woodland Trust IT Team, Transputec undertook to fast-track deploy to the Trust users newly procured laptops to replace aged equipment. Using leading-edge enterprise management technology of Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune) we successfully deployed these new laptops to 300 remote users, including physical delivery of the same to these users during winter snow conditions.
“The Woodland Trust has staff based all over the UK, many of whom work from home or satellite offices. Microsoft Endpoint Manager has been instrumental in simplifying the process of supplying devices to both existing staff and new starters, without the need for them to commute into our Head Office to collect equipment. This has improved the experience for new members of staff and supported our further shift to remote/home-working.”
Kathryn Downs, Chief Information Officer, The Woodland Trust
“Management of mobile devices allows remote workers to concentrate on their role rather than the IT they use. The use of Intune simplifies the process for fast turnaround of new devices or subsequent updates. This has improved the ability of the organisation to achieve its core goals.”
Stuart Salt, Director of Services, Transputec
- Undertook audit of existing remote network
- Explored network design and suitability for customer requirements
- Advised customer on inefficiencies in current solution
- Recommended new strategy of cloud hosted solution in Azure AD Connect
- Undertook pilot phase rollout prior to deployment to 300 plus end users
- Configured Azure AD Connect
- Configured Hybrid Azure AD Autopilot profile
- Configured compliance and other policies to be applied on enrolment
- Provided support to Dell for device enrolment for 150 plus devices
- Enabled and configured MDE on each enrolled device
- Signed-off build and test deliverables
- Provided documentation for handover to support services
- Trained support team on end user support
- Configured network and firewall
- Ensured project implementation met critical deadlines
- Digital transformation supports a new way of working for the organisation
- Empowers users to be more agile and productive
- Provides secure access to business apps on the go, anywhere anytime
- Intune simplifies the process for fast turnaround of new devices and updates
- Management of mobile devices allows remote workers to concentrate on their role
- Improves the ability of the organisation to achieve its core goals
Relationship with Transputec
“Our approach at Transputec is to build a strong relationship with the customer, based on excellent communications. So that when an issue does occur we can identify and solve it immediately. Our aim is always to exceed their expectations. The first two stages of the Woodland Trust project have been completed on time and within budget, at the same time as meeting quality targets and maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.”
Director of Services, Transputec