The Woodland Trust is the UK’s largest woodland conservation charity. It has 500,000 members and supporters and more than 1,000 woodlands of its own. Its head office is in Grantham, Lincolnshire, with regional offices in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, and a network of volunteers all over the UK.
The mission of the Trust is to create havens for wildlife by planting millions of trees every year, campaign for new laws to protect ancient woodland and restore damaged ancient woods so they can breathe again.
The Business Challenges
The Woodland Trust has a huge and remotely spread network of employees, volunteers and members. They came to Transputec with an ambitious requirement to transform their ICT network in the light of multiple operating inefficiencies that were hampering their mission.
The Woodland Trust issued a wide ranging tender for an IT co-support partner to manage their entire ICT infrastructure, including the supply and configuration of upgraded new end user devices and network security. They needed a partner to successfully deliver mobile technology to support a new agile way of working for the organisation.
What Transputec Did
The Trust had a need to replace its XenMobile Mobile Device Management solution; a decision was made to leverage Microsoft Endpoint Manager which was included as part of Woodland Trust’s existing Microsoft 365 subscription.
Transputec were engaged to implement Mobile Device Management on corporate IoS and android devices. Working alongside the Woodland Trust It Team, we configured and packaged applications, tested, piloted and deployed MDM to the identified devices utilizing leading-edge enterprise management technology of Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune) for Mobile Device Management and Mobile Application Management.
“The move to Microsoft Endpoint Manager has helped The Woodland Trust drive more value from its investment in the Office365 suite, reducing our total operating costs, while also providing a much more consistent, supportable and easier to administer platform for managing our mobile devices.”
Kathryn Downs, Chief Information Officer, The Woodland Trust
“The project introduced leading-edge Enterprise Mobility Management technology to the Woodland Trust. This digital transformation has supported a new way of working which has empowered staff to be more agile and productive by providing secure access to business apps on the go, anywhere anytime.”
Stuart Salt, Director of Services, Transputec
- Undertook audit of issues with existing XenMobile Mobile Device Management
- Explored options to replace current solution to meet customer requirements
- Recommended leveraging Microsoft Endpoint Manager for Mobile Device and Application Management
- Proposed pilot phase rollout prior to rollout to 60+ Corporate-owned iPads and 150+ Corporate-owned Android phones.
- Integration of Apple Device Manager and Google Play Store with Microsoft Endpoint Manager
- Corporate-owned iPad enrolment with User Affinity and Supervised mode using Company Portal app
- iPad compliance policy and device restriction policy for a fully-managed locked down environment
- iPad App Protection Policy for better management and security
- Deployed x34 pre-approved iPad apps as Volume Purchase Program apps to 3 different user groups
- Android compliance policy and device restriction policy for a fully-managed locked down environment
- Android App Protection and App Configuration Policies for better management and security
- Deployed x32 pre-approved apps as Managed Google Play store app
- Downloading public apps from the App Store and Play Store is blocked on both Android and Apple devices
- Conducted testing pilot
- Provided documentation and sign-off
- Digital transformation supports a new way of working for the organisation
- Empowers users to be more agile and productive
- Provides secure access to business apps on the go, anywhere anytime
- Intune simplifies the process for fast turnaround of new devices and updates
- Management of mobile devices allows remote workers to concentrate on their role
- Improves the ability of the organisation to achieve its core goals
Relationship with Transputec
“Our approach at Transputec is to build a strong relationship with the customer, based on excellent communications. So that when an issue does occur we can identify and solve it immediately. Our aim is always to exceed their expectations. The first two stages of the Woodland Trust project have been completed on time and within budget, at the same time as meeting quality targets and maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.”
Director of Services, Transputec